Digital marketing has been a popular topic in 2015, and that’s not likely to change as we enter the new year. Still, there are some businesses that don’t think it’s worth the time and money, wrongly assuming that digital marketing is just a buzzword.
This contributes to the fact that 39 percent of American small businesses said they hadn’t executed any marketing initiatives for at least six months, according to a Capital One Spark Business survey.
Deciding whether or not digital marketing is worthwhile comes down to individual companies. However, the majority of small businesses that run the numbers and utilize successful methods discover that digital marketing is the key to greater customer retention and increased returns.
Pros and Cons of Digital Marketing for Small Businesses
If you want to determine if online marketing will benefit your company, you need to weigh both the pros and cons. Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages of digital marketing on a small scale:
Pros: Some of the most prominent advantages of digital marketing revolve around affordability and a quick return on investment. Not all aspects of digital marketing will be in a price range small businesses can afford, but social media marketing, blog content, in-house videos, and customer reviews are all highly affordable. More importantly, these are forms of digital marketing that small businesses can use with ease.
Digital marketing is also an effective way for consumers and businesses to learn more about each other. It’s a much closer connection than might occur with traditional marketing tactics because it allows the two parties to interact directly. According to research by myBuys, 72 percent of consumers connect with brands through an integrated marketing approach. It’s hard to make that many connections with just traditional marketing tactics.
Cons: Small companies often shy away from digital marketing because methods don’t always work. Digital marketing is highly subjective to customers and their habits, and businesses won’t always get strategies right the first time. Unfortunately, many firms choose to listen to stories of failure rather than stories of success.
In order to experience the full benefits of digital marketing, businesses of all sizes must go through a trial and error process in which they learn from their mistakes, change their tactics, and try again. Only then will marketing from a digital standpoint reveal its full benefits.
Start Digital Marketing Today
If you’re a small business owner who isn’t yet using digital marketing, now is the perfect time to start. There are many tactics that can make digital marketing a more prominent, useful part of your strategy. Here are a few ideas:
Form a team or hire a third party marketer. If you don’t have the manpower, the latter is a better option. Your team will need multiple strengths that vary in specialization, from advertising to social media. You’ll also need to assign a healthy budget and instruct your people to use it wisely–but avoid discouragement if they make mistakes at first.
Focus on social channels. This is by far the cheapest form of marketing, since you can join most social networks for free. It’s also the best place to directly engage your customers.
Be willing to constantly improve. As mentioned, much of digital marketing is trial and error. When you make a mistake, you must be ready to change your strategy accordingly. This kind of mindset will help you achieve impressive returns on investments and a successful marketing strategy in the future.
Don’t give up on digital marketing before you give it a valid try. It’s important for businesses of all sizes, and those that wish to stay competitive will make digital marketing more of a priority.
Is Digital Marketing Worth It In 2022? [Honest Opinion]
Digital marketing is often thought of as a saturated career field.
It’s entertaining, remote, and you can be your own boss.
However, with all of the competition and hard work that goes into it, many people are starting to question whether or not it’s worth pursuing.
So, is digital marketing worth it?
Digital marketing is worth it if you’re able to work hard, build a network of clients, and remain persistent. If you don’t have time to dedicate to your career as a digital marketer, you might fall short of success. As long as companies advertise online, there will be a demand for digital marketers.
Throughout this article, you’ll also learn the following information about the value of digital marketers:
- Whether or not you should give it a try
- Various reasons that digital marketing is still worth it
- A list of possibilities that might hinder your performance
Is Digital Marketing Worth It Still In 2022?
There’s no doubt that there’s been a steady increase in the demand for digital marketers. With more demand comes more workers, which means it’s quite a competitive field.
The good news is that many potential digital marketers end up giving up too early due to a lack of instant success. You’ll be able to reach the top if you stick around long enough.
Here’s a list of five reasons why digital marketing is still worth the time:
- You can start right away without too much of an initial investment. Digital marketing only requires a laptop and an internet connection. You can make massive progress if you have the budget to invest in advertising your services, but it’s not entirely necessary. If you’re looking for an online career path to start today, digital marketing might be the answer.
- According to WP Forms, 19% of businesses don’t have a website yet but believe they could benefit from having one. Take into account that there are hundreds of new businesses created every day and you’ll see why your services as a digital marketer will be a popular topic for quite some time.
- If you’re a social media fanatic, then you’ll love the amount of time that you can spend on your favorite apps. Digital marketing directly relates to YouTube, emails, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and more. Companies need people like you to handle their social media posts to convert new sales.
- Digital marketing has loads of paths to try out. If you don’t like one of them, you’re more than welcome to try out another one. For example, you can be an SEO analyst, a social media marketer, an email campaign marketer, and more. You’ll also be able to mingle within the fields to add more to your skillset.
- It teaches you how to run a business online. When you’re creating ads and dealing with different clients’ needs, you’re going to get a good grasp of owning and running a business on the internet. You’ll eventually be able to use your skills to make your own company or stick with the thriving digital marketing business.
As you can see, there are plenty of benefits to digital marketing. Whether you’re hiring a digital marketer for your company or you’re considering becoming one yourself, the career field will be in demand for many years to come.
That being said, the worries of a saturated marketplace aren’t uncalled for. In the next section, you’ll learn a handful of reasons that might make digital marketing not as worth it as you might think.
Why Digital Marketing Might Not Be Worth It for You
You’ve seen all of the reasons that make digital marketing appealing, but now it’s time to figure out why so many people quit too early. After all, if it was super easy to work from anywhere and be your own boss, then almost everyone would do it.
Here’s why digital marketing might not be worth it for you:
- Digital marketing is far from easy. You can’t sign onto a profile and start dealing with customers’ projects right away. You have to build a network, understand the industry, and deal with failures as they come. There’s an inherent need to have an inner drive if you want to succeed.
- Unhappy customers can wreak havoc on your entire business. If you’re trying to build your clout online, then a few poor reviews can put a massive roadblock in your path. Fortunately, most clients are satisfied if you offer unlimited revisions. After you get a feel for what they prefer, you can win them over again.
- You need a decent computer and a great internet connection. Also, it’s definitely recommended that you get a smartphone if you don’t have one already. Being able to chat with your customers 24/7 is an absolute necessity. Tell them your business hours and stick to your word.
- You need to have a flexible schedule. This rides along with the same note as the previous reason; People need to know that you can meet their time constraints. If you’re not able to meet deadlines and communicate with them around the clock, you might have serious troubles in the industry.
- Finally, digital marketing can create a sense of worry when it comes to job security. You’re the only one who can get yourself the money you need to make it by or thrive. Building your client base and dealing with customers are both up to you. While most hard-working digital marketers succeed, you’re always the only one responsible for your success.
Should You Try Digital Marketing in 2022 and Beyond?
It’s all about knowing whether or not you’re cut out for the job. After seeing the pros and cons of the industry, you’re well-equipped to decide if digital marketing is worth it or not.
The three most essential traits include:
- Having an internet connection and a computer to work on.
- Being able to deal with clients on a flexible time schedule.
- Knowing how to convert viewers into customers with enticing content.
If you’re able to fulfill those three necessities and push through the hard times in the beginning, then you could definitely become a full-time digital marketer.
It’s important to note that, while you can become a part-time digital marketer, you’ll still need to be able to maintain consistent communication with your clients. If you fail to meet their demands, you won’t be able to win their truth for another job later on.
If your biggest feeling is whether or not digital marketing will still be around for a long time, then wash it away. The internet is constantly growing, with billions of users searching on Google, using social media platforms, and making purchases from ads created by digital marketers.
For those of you who are worried about your lack of a degree or experience in the field, Marketing Tech News suggests that you take an online course. It runs you through the basics of digital marketing to catch you up with the rest of the competition.
Conclusion: Is Digital Marketing Worth The Effort And Time?
Digital marketing is an exciting, immersive career path. You have to love what you do to make it worth it. The simple desire to work from home and be your boss isn’t enough; Customers become your boss in the sense that their approval directly impacts your success.
While it might not be a worthwhile field for people without enough time to dedicate towards it, digital marketing has proven to be the perfect career for thousands of budding entrepreneurs.
You can take a look at my recommended affiliate marketing e-book here to help get started building your business with affiliate marketing.